Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Book #10- Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy

I first heard about this book from NPRs site. Little did I know, that this is an older book which has been republished several times. Sally Jay Gorce is the heroine of the story. After several failed attempts at running away, she goes to her uncle who tells her that when she finishes college, he will give her a monthly stipend for a year and she can live wherever she wants. On her 21st birthday, she decides to go to France and live in Paris. All of this takes place during the 1950's. She ends up encountering quirky characters. It's a story of a girl stretching her wings and learning to fly on her own. Even though she falls down now and again, she picks herself up and keeps going.

Things I liked about the book:
  • Some of the unusual characters
  • The plot twist at the end
  • She stands up to people with the help of liquid courage

Things I didn't like about the book:
  • There were times when it was a bit slow
  • Groucho Marx said that he guffawed while reading the book... I didn't guffaw. Sure some parts were funny, but I wouldn't say hilarious.

No comments: