Monday, June 25, 2007

Book #4 Ex-libris by Anne Fadiman

I am a huge fan of reading. I first heard of Anne Fadiman on NPR. She was talking about her newest book of essays. Now I have to stop here and tell you that I'm not a big essay person. Generally, SMUT is what I read and I'm really not ashamed to tell anyone. What I really liked about Fadiman is that her essays are not lofty. When I heard her on NPR, I could actually picture what she was describing and understand what she was talking about. I decided to look into her work and found that she wrote essays on books. Joy!! Rapture!!

Her first essay discusses marrying two libraries. I still keep my husband's library separate from mine. He likes his manga and graphic novels, while I prefer books with no pictures. In another essay, she discusses things you should never do to a book. I also enjoyed You Are There which discusses reading books about certain landscapes within those landscapes. For example, I would read a book describing Ecuador, while I am in Ecuador.

Things I liked:
  • I could understand what she wrote. I didn't feel like her ideas went above my head.
  • This is easily a book I would want to come back to later in life. It will be a part of my shelf.
Things I didn't like:
  • It ended.

No comments: