Friday, June 22, 2007

Book #1- Dark Desire by Christine Feehan



Ever since I read some of Laurell K. Hamilton's books last summer, I've been drawn to paranormal fiction. So I continue my love for unlikely heroes in Christine Feehan's Dark Desire. Shea O'Halloran continually feels someone in her thoughts. Each year that passes, the thoughts get stronger and physical feelings are attached with them. Jacques is a Carpathian male on the brink of insanity. He was tortured and buried alive. While it pains him to try and communicate telepathically with Shea, he still does for seven years. Shea finally goes to the mountains, finds where Jacques is buried underground, pulls him up and tries to not only repair his physical wounds, but his mental ones as well. Feehan distinguishes between vampires and Carpathians. From what I gather (which may not be much, I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch), Carpathians are night walkers (they can walk during dawn), drink blood, live an extremely long time, have emotions, can shape shift, control animals and have one lifemate. If a Carpathian male does not find his lifemate, he will eventually turn into a vampire. Vampires kill just for the thrill of killing, so they can feel something. They walk at night and cannot during dawn. They obviously drink blood and kick around for a long time. What I liked:
  1. Feehan roped me in and I couldn't put the book down. I constantly wanted to know what was going to happen.
  2. Her twist on how Carpathians differ from vampires.
What I didn't like:
  1. Some of the love scenes seemed forced.
  2. I didn't always like the way Jacques treated Shea. Half the time, I wondered if Shea was a weak minded woman. I guess it's all personal opinion.
Overall Feehan's writing has intrigued me and I'm interested in reading another one of her books.

No comments: