Monday, August 13, 2007

Book #17- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen



I've never had to read this book in high school or in college for that matter. I've heard many a person reference Jane Austen on several different occasions. She even has her own action figure. So, I decided to read Pride and Prejudice so I could understand who Mr. Darcy was and why t-shirts were printed with "I love Mr. Darcy" on them. The story is about Elizabeth Bennett who is the sensible one in the family. She's like a rebel. She freely speaks her mind about people, especially Mr. Darcy who seems a bit cold and aloof when the reader firsts encounters him in the novel. Over time, we find that Eliza Bennett actually loves Mr. Darcy. Actually, Mr. Darcy is a pretty kick-ass dude, but we don't find that out until much later in the novel. This book took me awhile to read, but I learned new words like "thither". It was a very nice story and I have to say Elizabeth Bennett is probably one of my favorite heroines just because she goes against the grain. She stands up to her overly opinionated mother, she refuses to marry Mr. Collins who is a narcissistic, pompous ass, and she is not intimidated by Lady Catherine who tells her that she is not able to wed Mr. Darcy. All around I'd have to say Jane Austen created one hell of a chick!! No wonder why people like Austen so much.

Things I really enjoyed about this book:
  • The characterization!!! I really hated some of the characters in the book- Bingley's sister and Eliza's sister Lydia!! But I adored other characters like Mr. Bennett who was well aware of how annoying his wife was and Jane who saw the best in everyone, and of course Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth.
  • It was well written, obviously.
Things I did not like about this book:
  • It's written in English, but for some reason, it took my brain longer to process the book. Sometimes I had to go back and reread passages which was frustrating, but well worth it.

No comments: